Thursday, September 25, 2014

Mila LOVES Preschool!

Shawn picked Mila up after her first day of preschool and she didn't want to leave :) The teacher said she had a great first day! Today it was so strange just dropping her off and saying goodbye! It was just Sofia and I for a bit and we enjoyed our time together! I couldn't WAIT to pick her up and when I pulled up, they brought her out and instead of her usual "OH my goodness I missed you so much mama" squeal, she turned and tried to walk away from me back into the school! So I scooped her up and she promptly slapped me across my face because she was not ready to leave school!!! 

Now I know what you're thinking, you'd be so broken hearted if your child reacted that way right? Not me! I was so excited! I was excited because there was a time, not so long ago, that this very child fought for her life, she fought without a mama or daddy holding her hand. So for the next THREE years she took comfort in her mama-preferring me over anyone and everyone else, in every instance....clinging and so very needy and very dependent on mama in so many ways....needing to know I'd never leave her. And today, when she slapped me and chose preschool over mama, I thought, she feels safe and loved....for the first time SHE was ready to face this world without mama or daddy by her side....which tells me the love and effort we've poured into her over the past 3 years is paying off in so many ways. So today, even if it sounds weird to you, I'm happy Mila slapped me. I'm happy she wanted to stay at school...I'm happy she is strong enough and well enough and comfortable enough to go to preschool without mama. To hear that the other kids LOVE her and that she feels accepted there, just makes my heart so happy! Of course I wouldn't mind (selfishly) if she never ever wanted to leave my side....but really, I'd rather have THIS reaction than having her not want to go to school! We didn't send her right when she turned 3 (which is typically how it goes with kids with special needs-in order to get their services) because we just didn't feel like she was ready yet. I wasn't 100% sure she was ready, but felt peace in my mama heart and so we decided to go for it. I know it's only been 2 days, but I can already tell Mila thinks she's pretty cool going to school. The whole way home she kept repeating "R" (she calls her teacher Miss R.) and her helper's name! I promised her she could go back again next week :) 

The reports today were that Mila did great, prefers to sit in her helper's lap for story time as opposed to her cube chair (she's a snuggler), even colored a worksheet a little bit (she normally refuses to color at home), went potty and stayed dry no problem, had a snack, and that the other kids just love her! It made my heart so happy to hear that!!!! We're slowly extending her day each week, although I'm pretty certain she could do the full morning with no problem after seeing how much she wanted to stay today! 

She fell asleep in the swing within an hour of being home...preschool is exhausting I guess! 

2 comments:

  1. Too funny, as I was reading and saw the part about Mila slapping your face, I thought to myself "Uh oh, I wonder how Sarah handled that? I bet she wasn't too pleased!" I didn't think--until I read a bit further that it is actually PROGRESS for Mila to have enjoyed school and want to STAY badly enough to slap her beloved mama! So, sorry you got slapped but so happy your Mila is doing so wonderfully! Way to go, Miss Mila! Keep on shining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,
    Laughing at your post!!! So glad Mila likes school.

    ReplyDelete