Sunday, July 18, 2010

Aren't They Beautiful?

Tonight we were eating at our favorite outdoor restaurant and there was another family sitting at our same picnic table. I noticed the little girl, about 5 or 6 years old, kept looking at Zoya. I heard her say to her dad, "Why does her eyes look like that?" To which her dad responded, "Aren't they beautiful?" And I could tell he meant it and wasn't just saying it because he was embarassed. For a brief moment I felt sad because it was a swift reminder that my child is noticeably different causing others to judge prematurely. And yes, I forget that she is different on a daily basis because to me she is perfect and I forget that she looks different to other people. When I look at her I don't see Down Syndrome, I see Zoya....my perfectly and purposely created beautiful daughter.  My mind raced toward Zoya going to elementary and then middle and then high school.  I know kids often judge a book by it's cover, but then again so do adults.  Then I snaped out of it when I realized what had just happened. A young impressionable child was questioning her dad, not only about why Zoya looked different, but also receiving a lesson she might remember forever. Her dad's heartfelt answer showed his daughter that even though Zoya looks different she still has value and is still beautiful inside and out. In three words this father set such an amazing example for his daughter. I have a feeling maybe he talked to her a little bit more about why Zoya looked different once they left. But I thought his answer was perfect. Kids at that age value their parents' opinions more than any other opinions and her dad's answer was enough for her. After her dad answered her question by saying, "aren't they beautiful?" their other daughter started commenting about what a cute baby Zoya is. That is all it took. And I agree, those eyes are somethin' beautiful!

9 comments:

  1. In tears once again! you always seem to know the perfect words to say to make me cry. Your blog is the only one I read where I cry regularly :) LOL That is so wonderful & so perfect what he said. She truly is so beautiful & is such a wonderful & precious child as we all can see! Thank you for sharing her with the rest of us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is definitely beautiful! So glad her dad answered that way! I can't stand it when people don't answer or just turn away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So. Beautiful . Indeed.

    As is your writing about sweet Zoya. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are the angel eyes you first fell in love with and gave you the courage and will to fight to get her home. Those eyes are amazing and so so so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely BEAUTIFUL!!!
    And those girls are lucky to have such a DAD!!! We need MORE of them!!
    And I know exactly what you mean, when you say that you forget, that Zoya-Beauty is "different". It happened many many times to us, when people were stareing at Johanna.... Christoph and me asked ourselves, what is wrong? why do they stare? Does she wear dirty clothes?:) Did we miss something? And then suddenly came this: AAHHH, of course.....and we "remembered"! And I am soooooo happy for you you heard: Arent they BEAUTIFUL!!! and not like we did once: she WOULD be such a cutie...HELLO????
    Be blessed Christina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes they are---perfect and oh so beautiful!!!
    That made me cry...what a wonderful response and perhaps one more human on this earth that will look beyond physical differences and see true beauty!!
    Sunnie in NC

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate to disagree, but I don't think Zoya is "noticeably different". Unless someone is an identical twin, they are different from everyone else. The father said the right thing; her eyes are beautiful just like she is. You will find out that most people aren't as nasty as you think. One smile and blink of those "Angel Eyes" and your girl will win over the most hardened person. Guarenteed!

    Sue M.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What's that saying? The eyes are the window to the soul. Her eyes are beautiful as she is inside and out.

    ReplyDelete